FAQ's and official rules for the ABQ RIDE 2013 Great Bus Race
Thank you for joining ABQ RIDE's 3rd Annual Great Bus Race on Saturday, May 11, 2013.
What is The Great Bus Race?
The Great Bus Race is a citywide scavenger hunt that requires its participants to use ABQ RIDE buses and walking as their only form of transportation. Making their way through the city by scanning QR codes for points and clues to their next destination, teams will race for amazing prizes and the chance to earn the title of "The Great Bus Race Champion!" The contest is limited to 24 two-person teams.
How will the Great Bus Race Work?
- Only 24 teams of two will be allowed to compete.
- Teams of two will be required to become a fan of ABQ RIDE on Facebook in order to receive their first clue.
- Teams will need to find QR codes for the clue to their next destination.
- Teams can also earn extra points by finding additional codes at each destination.
- The first team to cross the finish line with the MOST POINTS and FASTEST TIME wins.
- Registration begins at 9 am MDT on Monday, April 8, 2013. Any registration with an email timestamp before 9 am MDT will not be eligible for participation in this contest.
What You Need to Bring on Race Day.
- A smart phone or mobile device capable of scanning QR codes and displaying the resulting content.
- A good pair of running shoes.
- Comfortable clothes. The race may take several hours. Contestants will receive a t-shirt for the event. All contestants must wear t-shirt throughout event.
- Water bottle.
- A sharp mind, ready to solve clues.
- A Great Attitude and Sportsmanship.
- 1st Place: One iPad3 for each team member.
- 2nd Place: One iPod Touch for each team member.
- 3rd Place: A $25 Gift Certificate to The Cooperage & a $25 Gift Certificate to Monte Carlo Steakhouse.
Thank you to each of our Sponsors. The Great Bus Race would never happen without their help.
- Downtown Action Team
- The KIMO Theater
- Slices Pizza Parlor
- Astro-Zombies Comics
- Pikes Peak Chocolate Shop
- Old Town
- The Cooperage
- Monte Carlo Steakhouse
- Pizza 9
Rules for Your Safety
- City of Albuquerque and Transit (ABQ RIDE) employees or their family members are NOT eligible to participate in the ABQ RIDE Great Bus Race.
- Contestants must possess a smart phone or mobile device capable of scanning QR codes and displaying the resulting content.
- Must be TWO person teams.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to participate.
- Must use ABQ RIDE buses or walking to get to different locations around town.
- NO cars or bicycles will be allowed for the duration of the race.
- The first team to arrive at the finish line with the MOST POINTS and FASTEST TIME wins the contest.
- Prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams. Decision of the judges is final.
- Teams must be present to collect their prizes.
- Please follow all pedestrian traffic laws. (Do not cross streets outside of designated crosswalks.)
- Stay off private property.
By filling out and submitting the entry form you acknowledge that The City of Albuquerque and its employees, ABQ RIDE and its employees, and all of the Sponsors/Participants and their employees are not and cannot be held liable in the event of accidents or injuries that may occur during the event known as "The Great Bus Race".
Official Contest Rules
- Contest Description. The Great Bus Race (the "Contest") is a citywide scavenger hunt that requires its participants ("Team(s)") to use ABQ RIDE buses and walking as their only forms of transportation. Making their way through the city by following clues, taking photographs and completing tasks, teams will race for amazing prizes and the chance to earn the title of “The Great Bus Race Champion!” Only 24 two-person teams will be allowed to participate. Judges will choose the winning teams according to the Official Rules and prizes will be awarded in accordance with these Official Rules.
- Sponsors. The Contest is sponsored by ABQ RIDE, AstroZombie Comics, UNM, Slices Pizza Parlor, Downtown Action Team, KIMO Theater, The Cooperage, Monte Carlo Steakhouse, Pikes Peak Chocolate Shop, Pizza 9, Geckos, and Albuquerque Old Town. Teams may have to spend up to $5 during the Contest.
- Binding Agreement. In order to enter the Contest, you must agree to these Official Rules ("Rules"). The Rules consist of: (i) the terms and conditions in this document. Because these Rules form a legally binding agreement with respect to this Contest, please read them carefully. If you do not agree to the Rules, you are not eligible to participate in the Contest or to win any of the prizes. You agree that registration for this Contest and/or a submission of an entry in the Contest constitutes your agreement to these Rules.
- Eligibility. Each Entrant must: (i) be 18 years of age or older; (ii) and be a U.S. citizen or a permanent U.S. legal resident (e.g., must be able to show proof of legal permanent residence, for example, a "green card"). Employees, interns, and contractors of ABQ RIDE (City of Albuquerque Transit Department), City of Albuquerque employees, as well as their immediate families, are not eligible to participate. Each team must have two members. One or both members must have a mobile device or cell phone capable of scanning QR (Quick Response) codes and displaying the online content contained therein.
- Contest Period. The Contest begins on May 11, 2013 at 10:30:00 A.M. Mountain Time (MT). The Contest ends on May 11, 2013 at approximately 3:00 P.M. Mountain Time (MT). All contestants will have the start time of 10:30 am. Contestants end time is the time stamp of the last email SUBMITTED to ABQ RIDE.
- How To Enter. To register for The Great Bus Race, entrants must be “Friends” of ABQ RIDE on Facebook, or visit the website (http://www.cabq.gov/transit/special-events/the-great-bus-race) ("Contest Website"), or visit our Twitter page and link to the registration page there. Only 24 teams of two will be permitted to participate in The Great Bus Race. Registrations will begin to be accepted on April 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM Mountain Time (MT) and will end on April 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM Mountain Time (MT), unless the maximum number of teams register sooner than April 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM Mountain Time (MT). Any registrations received before 9:00 AM Mountain Time (MT) on or prior to April 8, 2013 will not be eligible to participate. The time stamp on the registration email will be used as the basis for qualification. One team per household.
- Conduct. By entering the Contest, you and your Authorized Registrant agree to comply with and be bound by the Rules, which will also be posted on the Contest Website. Failure to comply with these Rules may result in your disqualification from the Contest. You further agree to comply with and be bound by the decisions of the judges, which are final and binding in all respects. ABQ RIDE reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Entrant it finds to be: (1) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest, i.e. scanning any other color team codes at destinations; (2) violating the Rules; (3) violating the terms of service, conditions of use or general Rules or guidelines of any ABQ RIDE property or service; (4) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or (5) failure to provide documentation verifying U.S. citizenship or permanent U.S. residency. Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any Entrant concerning identity, postal address, ownership of rights or non-compliance with the Rules may result in the immediate disqualification of an Entrant from the Contest. ABQ RIDE further reserves the right to disqualify any entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion, infringes upon any third party right, violates any law or otherwise does not comply with these Rules. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY PROPERTY OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ABQ RIDE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Judging and Selection of Winners. Teams will be judged by ABQ RIDE employees based on the following judging criteria:
(i) The amount of points collected during the race.
(ii) The time when teams cross the finish line.
- Decisions of the judges are final and binding. The first team to arrive at the finish line with the MOST POINTS AND the fastest TIME will win. If there is a tie, ABQ RIDE employees will note the time of each teams time stamp on final email. The team who has the email with the earliest time AND with the most points will be declared the winner. Winners will not be announced until all teams have checked in and had their points calculated. All teams must be at the Alvarado Transportation Center (“Finish Line”) by 2:30 pm to be eligible for any prizes. If a Team or Teams are not back by 2:30 pm, they are automatically disqualified. Point tallying and announcement of Winners will be held directly following the deadline. All prizes will be awarded and Contest will officially end at 3:00 pm. Prizes will be awarded to the first, second, and third place teams. Teams MUST be present to collect their prizes.
10. Prizes. The First Place Team will win an Apple iPad3 for each team member. The Second Place Team will win one iPod Touch for each team member. The Third Place Team will win a $25 gift certificate from The Cooperage and a $25 gift certificate from the Monte Carlo Steakhouse.
11. Media Activity: By participating in this Contest, you agree and hereby grant ABQ RIDE permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and publicly display your personal image for any purpose, such as, but not limited to, press and media communications, without any compensation or attribution to you. You also agree to participate in any media or promotional activity regarding the Contest. If you are one of the three (3) team winners, you agree that ABQ RIDE may use your name and likeness to administer and promote the Contest and to conduct media interviews and promotional events.
12. Privacy Notice. By participating in this Contest, you agree that ABQ RIDE can collect such personal information as required during the registration process, and that if ABQ RIDE cannot collect the required data, you may not be eligible to participate in the Contest. Any personal information collected during the course of the Contest by ABQ RIDE becomes public record and is subject to inspection by the Public Records Act.
13. General Conditions. All ABQ RIDE buses will operate on a normal schedule providing normal service to its passengers. This Contest is governed by the laws of the State of New Mexico, United States. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. By participating in this Contest, you agree to be bound by the terms of these Rules and by ABQ RIDE’s decisions, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Return of any prize/prize notification may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Any potential winner who is not present at time of prize give away will forfeit his or her prize. Potential prize winners may be required to sign, notarize, and return an affidavit or declaration of eligibility, a liability/publicity release, an I.R.S. Form W-9, within three (3) business days and provide any additional information that may be required by ABQ RIDE. (W-9 forms will be provided to entrants upon request.) Failure to comply within this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. ABQ RIDE is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prizes. Entrants certify that they have only used an ABQ RIDE bus and not a vehicle to complete the race. Each entrant agrees not to participate in the Contest in any manner that might infringe any local, state or federal law, including all pedestrian traffic laws. Team members must not (1) cross streets outside of designated crosswalks; (2) run after a moving bus; (3) push or shove any person (4) attempt to have bus drivers stop at an unmarked and undesignated bus stop; (5) teams must stay off of private property.
14. No Recourse to Judicial or Other Procedures. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, to seek injunctive relief, or to any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and you expressly waive any and all such rights.
15. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU INDEMNIFY AND AGREE TO KEEP INDEMNIFIED ABQ RIDE AT ALL TIMES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, DAMAGES, COSTS AND EXPENSES RESULTING FROM ANY ACT, DEFAULT OR OMISSION BY YOU AND/OR A BREACH OF ANY WARRANTY BY YOU SET FORTH HEREIN. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU INDEMNIFY AND AGREE TO KEEP INDEMNIFIED ABQ RIDE AT ALL TIMES FROM AND AGAINST ANY LIABILITY, ACTIONS, CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LOSSES, DAMAGES, COSTS AND EXPENSES FOR OR IN RESPECT OF WHICH ABQ RIDE WILL OR MAY BECOME LIABLE BY REASON OF OR RELATED OR INCIDENTAL TO ANY ACT, DEFAULT OR OMISSION BY YOU UNDER THESE RULES INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION RESULTING FROM OR IN RELATION TO ANY BREACH, NON-OBSERVANCE, ACT OR OMISSION WHETHER NEGLIGENT OR OTHERWISE, PURSUANT TO THESE RULES BY YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU AGREE TO HOLD ABQ RIDE, ITS RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND ASSIGNS HARMLESS FOR ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED OR CLAIMED TO BE CAUSED BY PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST AND/OR USE OR ACCEPTANCE OF ANY PRIZE WON.
16. Third Parties. ABQ RIDE is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others that might prevent the Teams from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Contest.
17. Severability. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
18. Winner List. The names of the winners will be available within one (1) week of the end of the Contest.