Solid Waste Management's Automated Collection System makes trash collection more efficient, safe, and sanitary than bag collection systems.
Automated collection could not be easier—Albuquerque households are assigned a 95-gallon trash cart which is simply rolled out to the curb on the designated trash collection day. Garbage trucks outfitted with hydraulic arms do the rest of the work. Implementation of the system began in 1995, and Albuquerque is now 99% automated.
Using the Automated Refuse Collection Cart
Residential garbage is collected once per week. For more information regarding your collection day please call 761-8100.
Place inside garage, at side of house or in backyard. Do not take cart if you move; each cart is assigned to the residence, not the customer.
Items to Place in the Cart
Place all trash in plastic bags, if possible, and secure the bags to help prevent spillage and keep the container clean. Other materials, such as tree branches, should fit easily into the cart to insure ease of unloading. The maximum cart weight when full is 150 lbs. Lid should be able to close. Prohibited trash includes:
- Hot ashes or coals.
- Hazardous waste (paints, oils, poisons, corrosives, batteries). See information on how to dispose of .
- Concrete, rocks, large pieces of metal, tile, dirt.
Best Cart Placement
- Place your cart in the gutter near your driveway with the wheels against the curb by 7 am on your scheduled pick-up day.
- Place your container 5 ft away from all obstructions (cars, poles, recyclables, additional containers, etc…)
- Bag your trash to prevent spills
- Do not overfill your container
- Make sure that the lid can be shut with ease
- Maximum capacity cannot exceed 150 lbs. or it cannot be serviced.
- You may request an extra trash container for $4.79 per month.
- NO hazardous waste, NO electronics or computers, NO construction material, NO ashes, NO concrete, NO rocks, NO gravel, or like material.
- Place recyclables at the curb 5 feet away from the cart.
Violations will be handled in the following fashion.
- 1st violation will be documented
- 2nd violation within six (6) months a warning will be issued.
- 3rd violation within six (6) months will result in a $15.00 fee to return to service the trash cart.
Cart Damage or Replacement
For replacement of damaged, lost, or stolen carts, call (505) 761-8100. If your cart is lost or damaged through negligence, you will be charged $48.67 for replacement. Your cart will be delivered or repaired within 5 working days of your request.
Albuquerque residents may make arrangements with the department for pick-up of trash that will not fit into the automatic cart for an additional charge of $59.31 Additional charges will apply if service requires additional staff, time or vehicles. You may also take excess trash to one of the threelocated within the city.
Albuquerque residents may request an additional trash cart for $4.79 per month (six months minimum) by calling (505) 761-8100. Your cart will be delivered within 5 working days of your request.
Solid Waste Management will provide assistance with carts for disabled or elderly residents free of charge. For disability assistance, call (505) 761-8100. See information about Solid Waste Management's.
If your trash or recyclables are not picked up on your regular collection day, call Residential Services at (505) 761-8100. Pick-up will be made within 24 hours or on the next business day. For example, if you report a missed pickup on Friday, your trash will be picked up on Monday, which is the next working day.
Low Income Assistance
Low income residents may receive a credit for water, sewer, and refuse on their monthly city utility bills. Income determination and certification is provided by El Paisano, a community organization. For more information, contact Debbie Pino at El Paisano, (505) 342-1322.