The Open Space Visitor Center (OSVC) offers training for new volunteers. Please check back soon for more details.
Please check back for information on the 2014 Open Space Visitor Center volunteer training schedule.
Learn more about the Open Space Visitor Center.
What do Open Space Visitor Center volunteers do?
Greeters: They are our frontline to the public, orienting visitors to the facility, answering phones, and assisting with small clerical tasks.
Gardens: The success of Traditions Garden, Pollinator Garden, and extended landscaping is due to volunteers. Watering, weeding, compost maintenance, planting, harvesting, and interpretation are among the essential tasks in the garden. No experience is necessary. Please specify if gardening is what you wish to do so that you may begin training right away.
Education: Education is the primary goal of the OSVC. Development of education materials and guiding tours are of the facility’s greatest education needs.
Additional jobs include data entry, wetland maintenance, bosque maintenance, and special event support.
The Open Space Visitor Center volunteers are essential to connecting people to place, or connecting visitors to the value of Open Space. The OSVC volunteer training program strives to provide volunteers with the information and tools they need to accomplish this goal. The training program is fun and informative, but it will require a significant time commitment to complete.
Participants must attend the full schedule of trainings. Space is limited to 15 people. Call (505) 897-8831 to register.
2013 TRAINING SCHEDULE
(Check back soon for the 2014 Schedule)
SESSION ONE: April 6, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
- Tour of the facility and grounds
- Complete paperwork
- Receive reading materials
SESSION TWO: April 11, 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM
- Front desk orientation
- Customer service training
SESSION THREE: Scheduled day of choice Wednesday through Sunday (2 hrs) no later than 2 weeks after Session Two.
- Hands-on training
- Open Space History and Lands: April 13, 10:00am – 12:00pm
- Open Space Farms & OSVC Gardens: April 20, 10am – 2:00 pm
- Piedras Marcadas Pueblo Village: May 4, 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Interpretation Techniques: May 11, 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Bosque Interpretation & Walk: June 1, 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Tour of Open Space lands: Foothills, East Mountains: June 8, 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Tour of Open Space lands: West side, Bosque: June 15, 9:00am – 1:00pm