Information about City of Albuquerque employee benefit rates.
City Employee Benefits
For more information about specific City-provided employee benefits, please see:
- Why Work for the City
- City Employee Insurance and Benefits
- City Employee Health and Wellness Programs
- City Public Service University
The City of Albuquerque provides all full-time, part-time, regular, and unclassified employees with a comprehensive benefits package as part of its compensation package.
In most cases, the City and employees share the costs of these benefits with the City-paid portion budgeted as a percentage of salary. These benefits including some or all of the following for each employee depending on position and employee benefit choices:
- Retirement benefits through the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA)
- Retirement health care through the New Mexico Retiree Health Care Authority (RHCA)
- Social Security and Medicare through the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance 80% paid by the City
- Term life insurance options
- Unemployment Compensation
- City bus passes
Different categories of City positions are compensated with different benefit levels primarily because of variations in retirement programs. Sworn Fire Department employees, sworn Police Department employees, and Police Transport Officers have a generally shorter service time requirement to reach full retirement.
To make the contributions required to support this shorter requirement, both the City and the employees in these positions pay to Public Employees Retirement Association a higher percentage of the employee's salary.
City-Provided Benefits Budgeted as Percent of Salary by Fiscal Year
|Classification||Fiscal 2007||Fiscal 2008||Fiscal 2009||Fiscal 2010||Fiscal 2011||Fiscal 2012||Fiscal 2013|
|Sworn Fire Department Employees||52.71%||51.02%||50.47%||50.47%||53.054%||55.684%||56.31%|
|Police Department Transport Employees||50.92%||49.23%||48.68%||48.68%||51.264%||53.894%||54.52%|
|Sworn Police Department Employees||43.92%||48.35%||47.80%||47.80%||50.384%||53.014%||53.64%|
|All Other City Employees||44.52%||42.83%||42.28%||42.28%||44.447%||47.036%||47.62%|